Marked Collocations

So when you combine two words that usually don’t go together, it’s called a marked collocation.

For example, if I say “peace broke out”, it would catch my attention, because the more common phrase is “war broke out”.

Mona Baker, in her book In Other Words, explains marked collocations and collocational meaning. I found a summary online, and you can find it here.


In the meantime, I’m will ink more of my blog while eating organic mango lemonade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Subscribe without commenting